Sunday, May 21, 2023

Get Your Dose of Amish Living, with The Amish Potato

Here I am with another personal post, one where you get to see what goes on in my mind and what I’m watching just for fun. Today, I bring you The Amish Potato. I know the name makes you hungry, but it has nothing to do with potatoes as I once thought, at least I don’t think it does anyway.

I wouldn’t have come across The Amish Potato if not for my nightly Anthony Padilla and Peter Santenello video watching, in combination with a curiosity for the Amish way of life, along with other ways of life. Because I’ve learned, you can’t learn about the way someone lives from an outsider.

    A Bit About the Potato Himself and his content

The Amish Potato is a video series produced by CJ, a man who left the Amish church and grew up in Shipshewana, Indiana, not far from where I grew up and still live now. CJ goes into detail a little bit about what the Amish way of life is, even if the topic makes him feel uneasy (i.e. like women’s hygiene). He even talks a little bit about his life now, being a father and a husband. It’s a little bit of everything when it comes to CJ.

Why I’ve been watching the videos

Other than the obvious nightly binges and learning about different ways of life. I learned that all Amish communities are different, and run a different way. But since the community he was from was almost as local as I could get. 

The funny thing is, I was watching his “Found It! Where Amish Buy Their Kid's Wooden Toys”, and can’t help but remember my grandparents especially my grandma taking me to Yoder’s. It was a place my grandparents took me to whenever they were in the area. I can almost remember the smell of the place. So maybe some of his videos are for some weird nostalgic value and a way to remember my grandparents.

  


Obviously, I know most people won’t get the feeling of nostalgia as I did watching the video, but at least it gives people the insight of one of many Amish communities. CJ and his family seem like the chill kind of people that I could get along with. Sure there’s no fancy editing, and the videos are straight to the point, but it’s why I keep coming back. I encourage anyone who’s curious about the community to check it out. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Fairy Fern's Hippie Blog Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design