Thursday, May 25, 2023

Lost in Thought: Coping with Pregnancy Brain Fog

Since I’ve become pregnant, my brain is fuzzier than usual, I’m even more forgetful. I didn’t even think it was possible to have my mental ability be fuzzier and more forgetful but, it is. I have what is better known as pregnancy-related brain fog, or ‘mommy brain’. If you think you have mommy brain, and feel alone, you're not alone! 

What on earth is Mommy Brain? 

Pregnancy does a lot to our bodies, it makes it hard to sleep, we feel like we have more stress, and our hormones are fluctuating. When that happens,  our neurotransmitters, are affected and we start becoming forgetful, can't concentrate, and can't multitask the way we used to. Don't worry, it'll go away soon after the baby gets here. Mommy brain can start early and happen until the baby's born. 
 



Yeah, but what is it like?

Imagine putting down your car keys or bottle of water and forgetting where you set them down at. I don't know how many times, I've put food in the microwave, to come back a few minutes later, to find out I never set the timer or I'll buy something from the grocery store, put it away and completely forget I bought it. 

Of course, mommy brain can be frustrating and anxiety-filled sometimes, and it can cause our own personal relationships with others to suffer. I don't know how many times, I've forgotten a doctor's appointment or forgotten where I put down my bottle of water! After reading some other stories about mommy's brain I felt a little less alone. 


Looking for some tips to keep from losing stuff?

Rest: When the doctors say to rest, it should be important. According to an article, being tired can affect the ability to communicate, and lead to memory lapses. 
Make lists and use reminders: You won't forget stuff if you set a reminder or make a list. Unless you forget to write down what you need to do, or where you put something at. 
Stay organized: I know it's easier said than done, you're in brain fog mode. If you have a special place to put something put it there. It'll help you find something if you have it organized.
Practice Mindfulness: Time to be a mindful mama bear. If you read my post about mindfulness a few days ago, being a mindful mama bear will put you into the here and now, relax your body, and clear your mind.
Ask for help: If you're having trouble remembering, let people know. It's okay to ask for help from friends, family, or even your doctor/midwife. 
Support other pregnant women: Let other women know they're not alone. Give them helpful ideas to help when the brain fog is strong, like rest, mindfulness, or lists. 


When should I worry and tell my doctor?

If your brain fog gets so bad that you're unable to remember important things, when you're unable to do daily tasks, and if it's getting worse, Medical News Today, suggests talking to your doctor. There's no reason to feel ashamed to tell your doctor. They won't think that you're off your rocker when it comes to brain fog. 

Conclusion

If you're going Mommy brain, you're not crazy, and you're not imagining things. You're definitely not alone, when it comes to forgetting things, in fact the list above with 20 examples are just the tip of the iceberg. It's even okay to seek help from a professional if you need to. I sincerely hope that any one who's pregnant right now knows someone who's pregnant or hopes to become pregnant in the future has a happy healthy pregnancy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Fairy Fern's Hippie Blog Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design